Counseling And Advising

Quick Links

Child Care Assistance
Confidential Information Release
Report Sexual Assault Anonymously
Special Accommodations Form

The goal of the Counseling Office is to help students achieve academic success and personal growth by providing the following services:

Career Counseling

* Provides counseling in career selection.
* Career tests available by request.
* Assistance with resume writing and interview preparation.


All students who enter a public college/university must test before they can enroll in college-level classes unless they are exempt from testing (See Counselor for exemptions). Ranger College administers the Accuplacer Test which is a computerized test that has been approved by the state for testing purposes.

Job Placement

Ranger College provides placement services to assist students in obtaining part-time and full-time employment.

Interested students should come by the Counselor’s office located in the Golemon Library Building to fill out a Job Placement Request form so a file can be set up containing information such as job interests, skills and additional contact information. The student will then be notified as jobs become available. Current job openings are posted on a bulletin board in the Golemon Library Building, Business Building, and also at the off-campus centers.

Assistance and information are available for writing resumes, preparing for interviews, and completing employment applications.

Job information is only provided by Ranger College if the prospective employer is in full compliance with Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines. Placement services comply with all federal civil rights legislation concerning non-discriminatory employment practices including those of color, race, sex, creed, national origin, religion, marital status, age or disability.

Personal Counseling

The Counseling Office provides free, confidential counseling services to assist students in coping with the unique stress of college life.

ADA Services

It is the goal of Ranger College to make the educational experience of every student a successful one. In striving to accomplish this goal, Ranger College attempts to create an environment that is conducive to learning by providing multifaceted academic, personal, and professional support to students with disabilities.

You may download a Special Accommodations form (PDF) and return it to our office.

Application for Services:
To apply for accommodations at Ranger College the following steps MUST be taken:

1.) Fill out the Special Accommodations form.
2.) Documentation of disability must be turned over to the Counselor.
3.) Arrange a meeting with the Director of Counseling either in person or over the phone: 254-647-3234, extension 7021, or

It is important to understand that the above requirements are responsibilities of the students.  Accommodations made at the high school level do not automatically carry over to college.  Furthermore, not all accommodations made at the high school level will be applicable at the college level.  Again, the student must present all necessary documents and steps above to have his/her requests considered.

Acceptable Documentation Includes:
1. Testing results from the student’s high school.
2. Assessment results from the Texas Rehabilitation Commission (TRC).
3. Assessment results from the Texas Department of Assistive & Rehabilitative Services (DARS).
4. Results from a private psychologist or diagnostician.
5. Assessment report from a neurologist or other doctor.

The ADA Coordinator will discuss with the student the services and accommodations provided by Ranger College and will acquaint the student with the process for securing these services.

Mental Health Services

Please visit our Mental Health Services page for more information.

Contact Our Counselor

(254) 647-3234 Ext. 7021

Assistance is available for students experiencing crisis situations. During business hours, call the Counseling Office at 254.647.3234 ext. 7021 or come by the Counseling Office in the Golemon Library Building.

When the Counseling Office is closed, AFTER OFFICE HOURS AND WEEKENDS, students may call Central Texas MHMR-Eastland at 254.629.8293 (local call) or 1-800-458-7788.  If you need to speak with someone IMMEDIATELY, call 911, go to the nearest hospital emergency room (Eastland) OR contact Campus Police at 254.631.9097.

Brown County Center

During Office Hours (see above), please call the Counseling Office at 254.647.3234 ext. 7021.  After office hours and weekends, contact Brownwood MHMR 1-800-458-7788.  If you need to speak to someone IMMEDIATELY, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.

Erath County Center

During Office Hours (see above), please call the Counseling Office at 254.647.3234 ext. 7021.  After office hours and weekends, contact Pecan Valley MHMR Crisis Hotline at 1-800-772-5987.  If you need to speak to someone IMMEDIATELY, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.

National Suicide Hotline: 800-784-2433
Rape, Abuse Hotline: 800-656-4673
Alcohol & Drug Hotline: 800-588-8728
Crime Victim Assist :888-686-3222

Domestic Violence: 800-799-7233
Substance Abuse: 800-662-4357