Ranger College offers a one-year VN Program with approval from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board and the Texas State Board of Nursing (BON). The program begins each August, or Fall semester, and progresses through the Spring and Summer semesters, completing in the subsequent August.
Upon satisfactory completion of the program, the student will be awarded a certificate of completion. Once the BON receives an affidavit of graduation (AOG), they will issue graduates a temporary license (graduate nurse or GVN) and an authorization to test (ATT). The ATT entitles the student to take the licensing NCLEX examination. Graduates who pass the NCLEX will be licensed as a Vocational Nurse by the BON.
Start of the Program
Each Fall Semester
Complete application must be submitted by May 15th
Brown County Center
Erath County Center
Ranger College also offers Dual Credit LVN Pathway (Link to LVN Dual Credit) and a Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) to Registered Nurse (RN) Bridge Program (link to Bridge Program webpage).
Process for VN Program
1. See Requirements and Curriculum for the VN Program under “Links and Downloads” on the right.
2. Admission Test for Nursing: The Test of Essential Academic Skill (TEAS) assesses entry-level academic readiness of nursing program applicants. A “PROFICIENT” level score is required for the program. Register here. In registration, choose “Ranger College” as the school and “Early, Texas” as the test location. The TEAS is proctored at the Early campus on Thursday afternoons in the spring and summer semesters.
3. Apply to Ranger College. All guidelines for acceptance into Ranger College must be met, including Texas Success Initiative (TSI) completion. Apply here.
4. Set up your Ranger email account for correspondence with the Nursing Program. Visit Student Servicesto learn about your Ranger College email account.
5. Email the Nursing Program to obtain the Nursing Program Application. Send your email here or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. Schedule an appointment with the Dean of Nursing to submit your application. Only completed applications, including all criteria listed below, may be submitted. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Schedule your appointment here or email email@example.com.
Requirements for the Nursing Program
* Official Transcripts – Ranger College & Nursing Program (both)
* Current American Heart Association CPR – BLS Healthcare Provider – ONLY
* An online Tracking Tool will be used for Immunization records, TB, and CPR management.
* After acceptance, the Texas State BON will require and initiate a criminal background check.
* After acceptance, a drug screening is required prior to the program. Ranger College Nursing Department will initiate this process.
* Current Immunizations/Vaccines/Other: ( 2 Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR), 2 Varicella, 3 Hepatitis B series (or titer), Tetanus, Diphtheria and Pertussis (Tdap) (within 10 yr), 2 Negative TB skin tests (required annually afterward) , Meningitis (for applicants under 21 years of age), Seasonal Flu – required each Fall, obtain in Fall after acceptance
Submit complete application by May 15th for August admission.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What do I need to do first in applying to the Nursing Program?
A: To begin the process, you will need to take the Test of Essential Academic Skill (TEAS). The TEAS assesses entry level academic readiness of nursing program applicants. “PROFICIENT” level scoring is required for entrance into the Nursing Program. Sign up instructions for this test are on the ATI website: atitesting.com. After registering with ATI, you will choose Ranger College as your school and Early, TX as the test location. The TEAS is proctored at our Early campus on Thursday afternoons currently.
Q: If I apply to Ranger College, do I also need to apply to the Associate Degree Nursing Program?
A: Yes. You must apply to each separately. Follow the sequence and instructions.
Q: Why do I need to submit 2 official transcripts?
A: You will need to request any and all official transcripts sent to both the Ranger College Registrar at 1100 College Circle, Ranger TX, 76470 and the Ranger College Brown County Campus, Attn: Dean of Nursing at 300 Early Blvd, Suite 105, Early, TX 76802. The seal on the envelope must not be broken. * 2 official transcripts are required because the Associate Degree Nursing Program is not on the main campus and the Texas Board of Nursing requires official transcripts to be kept on file on site.
Q: How do I obtain financial aid?
A: Apply for your financial aid on the FASFA website at FAFSA.gov. Direct all Financial Aid questions to the Financial Aid department located at the Ranger Main Campus at 254.647.3234, ext. 217.
Links and DownloadsApply NowLearn more
Admission Test – TEAS
Tuition and Fees
Uniform Ordering Info
Carolyn Zapata, MSN RN
Dean of Nursing
Jan McCoy, BSN RN
Recruitment and Advising